Thursday, June 18, 2009

Dolly's Face

This is Dolly........


My Dear Honey gave her to me for my birthday last year, she is a very late baby and wont be 2 until the end of august.

Isn't she pretty?

Well 2 weeks after I got her last fall, I put her out to play in the newly fenced drylot paddock, smooth woven wire, stretched tight and clipped to posts.... she ran into it at a dead run..........

sliced her face to the skull, from mid way on her face, nearly eye to eye, the flap hung open and took over 20 stitches..... I'll spare the gore, I was too shocked to even think to take pics..... Poor baby!

This image is 2 months after the fact....... back in November.


She eats a lot and is growing.......

And her face healed up just like the vet said it would.

4 comments:

Paint Girl said...

How terrible! I couldn't imagine anything like that happening to my horses, although I know it could someday! I am so glad her face healed up so nicely! You can't even tell!
She is very pretty! I love Paints!!

BettyWestern said...

Hi Rae, lovely pictures of all the horses and your landscape shots are wonderful. My 'Honey' and I travelled through Oregon from Seattle to Lake Tahoe many moons ago, past Goose Lake, Wagontyre, Burns...oh it was wild! We had very little money and even less time (as everyone had said we should drive US1) but it was for us, very special. Who else from UK will have travelled the same route I often wonder - yours is not a state that gets talked about much round these parts!

Looking forward to keeping an eye on your blog, if you get 5, pop on over to our patch - it's in need of some TLC but if you look back to the early days, there's horses aplenty for you to feast your eyes upon. Best wishes Betty. www.BettyWestern.Blogspot.com

gtyyup said...

Isn't it amazing what they do?!? Sure healed nicely. My friend Todd has a filly that tried to rip her face off on a wire fence (not barbed). She was just a foal at the time...a huge triangle flap of skin that pealed back off her forehead covering one of her eyes...she has a faint scare now as a 3 year old.

Cowgirl Rae said...

I'm not surprised anymore.....LOL

I've seen cows plough through 5 strands of barb wire with nothing more than a few scratches, I had a steer jump out of an open top trailer at 40 mph, he skidded along on his head and tumbled to a stop, he was dazed enough he didnt run off before we got him back in the trailer. The next day he was fine except for the skinned knees and hocks and forehead......

Leave it to a horse to slice off their face on a smooth wire fence.