Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The hottest day.....

2 weeks ago my friend and neighbor Cindy and I went trail riding, I had told her I wanted to go out the way she goes to the reservoir.

She called and asked if I wanted to ride that day, I jumped at the chance and we met up about 11am, I didn't think we'd be gone long so I neglected to go back for my hat and it didn't seem that warm.... and we weren't going to be gone long (see a theme here?).... I also neglected to bring a water bottle.

As it turned out we had a such a good time and the horses were willing and the day was open we ended up being gone about 4 hours, AND it turned out to be a record heat day of 98 degrees.

Cindy was prepared for anything, we shared her water bottle and she had a nifty doggy canteen with bowl that she generously shared between my dog and hers. I'm going to get one of those doggy canteens with the bowl, it was very clever.

Slight sunburn and dehydration aside it was a spectacular ride and we hope to do it again soon. I figured we covered about 10 to 12 miles all together. Most of the ground is rocky to VERY rocky with some gravelly and sandy areas, both our horses are barefoot and booted on the front, I use Easyboot Epics with gaiters she uses Renegades, on the way home we both pulled the boots to let their feet work naturally and develop some callus.

I rode Cricket because she needs the miles and she did very good, we came down several extremely steep trails and she used her back and hind quarters to rate herself well. I'm happy with the progress she has made she is really starting to listen and accept direction and her softness and responsiveness has improved light years from June.

Cindy rode her Missouri Foxtrotting mare, she is young but very responsive and stable and steady, she was a great confidence builder for Cricket.

The views are spectacular on the rim overlooking the reservoir. This is preview of where we are headed.



My dog kept looking over the rim and was frustrated she couldn't get to the water from there, the cliff is several hundred feet straight down.
Overlooking Bowman Dam on the west end of Prineville Reservoir, start of the Crooked River.









Overlooking County Boat Ramp on the NW end of Prineville Reservoir


A flock of ducks Cindy encountered at the boat ramp one day recently

Ahhhh cool, clear, water.....

My Trail Boss for the day.....

Cricket enjoying the cool, clear, water.....




And special thanks to Cindy for bringing her camera and graciously sharing our adventure.....

2 comments:

Paint Girl said...

What a great ride! Such a beautiful place, love the scenery. I am glad to hear that Cricket is doing so well.

gtyyup said...

That was a GREAT ride!!! I'd love to get in some water that deep. Glad to hear the Cricket did such an awesome job and you're happy with her progress!